How do I use the bandsaws?
To use the bandsaw:
Ensure you are wearing correct PPE as listed below.
Ensure the extraction hood is open and positioned as close to the blade as possible.
Plan and prepare your cut. Think about the object you are cutting and the order you will make your cuts. Use the fence to make straight cuts. The angle guide helps with angled cuts.
Ensure the blade guard is sitting just above your material.
It is good practice to check the emergency stop before use.
Start the machine and perform your cuts.
- Allow the blade to reach full speed before beginning any cuts.
- Keep your object flat on the table while cutting.
- Remember to keep your fingers 100mm from the blade at all times.
- Push sticks and push blocks are always available. These help keep your fingers away from the blade when you are cutting smaller objects.
- For large objects a colleague can help you support the material while you are using the machine.
- Never try to clear offcuts away from the blade while the machine is running. Allow the next piece of material to push them out of the way or turn off the machine and clear.
When finished stop the machine and allow the blade come to a full stop.
- If you are using the smaller bandsaw you must use the foot brake every time you stop the machine.
Ensure you leave the machine clean and tidy.