What materials can I use with the Laser cutters?
We stock a range of materials in our stock room. This includes laser grade plywood, acrylic sheets and stamp rubber:
Laser grade plywood sizes
In 0.8mm thickness
Small Laser cutter – 610x406 mm
Large laser cutter – 1220x610 mm
Full Sheet – 1220x1220 mm
In 1.5mm, 3mm, 6mm, 9mm thicknesses
Small Laser cutter – 760x500 mm
Large laser cutter – 1000x700 mm
Full Sheet - 1520 x1520mm
Clear Acrylic – 3mm and 5mm
Coloured Acrylic – Frosted, Transparent & Solid – 3mm
- 600mm x 400mm
- 1000mm x 600mm
Specialist acrylic will need to be purchased externally.
The most up to date prices can be found on the eStore.
Students can bring their own materials though are advised to discuss with a technician prior to buying to make sure they are compatible. Personal material must be dropped off at the workshop 48 hours prior to collection to allow for quarantining.
Paper based materials
- Grey card
- Corrugated card – single wall only. Double wall and up are fire hazard
- Slate – Engrave only
- Anodised Aluminium – Engrave only
- Glass – engrave only
Materials you cannot use
- MDF: Clogs up our filters and smells bad
- LaserMDF: It produces perhaps 50% the gunk of MDF but still too much
- Metal of any thickness doesn't cut
- PVC/Vinyl: absolutely not. Produces chlorine
- Faux leather – contains PVC