The laser cutters are staff run by appointment. Bookings can be made by visiting the 3D workshop. If you can’t attend your appointment or would like to change it, please give at least 1 days notice.
- 40 pence a minute (students)
- 60 pence a minute (staff)
- 40 pence a minute (external)
for cutting plus the cost of any materials used (if bought from the workshop).
We stock acryclic and ply-wood for laser cutting which can be paid for via the eStore at the same time as you pay for your job. A technician will advise you of the total cost.
Students can bring their own materials though are advised to discuss with a technician prior to buying to make sure they are compatible. The following guide will give you an idea of which materials can and which cannot be used with our laser cutters :
- Some soft wood
- Plywood: yes if it is "laser ply". Normal plywood has non-laser compatible glue
- Acrylic / Perspex
- Grey card
- Corrugated card – single wall only. Double wall and up are fire hazard
- Slate – Engrave only
- Anodised Aluminium – Engrave only
- Glass – engrave only
Materials you cannot use
- MDF: Clogs up our filters and smells bad
- LaserMDF: It produces perhaps 50% the gunk of MDF but still too much
- Metal of any thickness doesn't cut
- PVC/Vinyl: absolutely not. Produces chlorine
- Faux leather – contains PVC